What can I as a city mayor do to help stop the global warming? As a leader of a city you have an key role in stopping the global warming. The necessary transition affects how cities and societies are planned, the different infrastructures for transports, energy, food supply, nutrient cycles, waste etc. This will also have many positive effects on our lives in the cities with cleaner air, higher quality of food, a richer social life and healthier people. We have an opportunity to leave a better place to live in to our children and future generations.
You are most likely already addressing several of these problems. But we need to speed up the transition. Since the usage of fossil fuels are deeply integrated into our society, many different areas need to be addressed simultaneously. This action list suggests where attention is needed to make this happen in a coordinated way with citizens and other stakeholders such as city mayors and enterprise leaders. Don’t hesitate – take a lead in this! Your city will prosper and people will thank you.
- Switch the electricity/heating/cooling production to fossil free alternatives (why? how?)
- Introduce benefits for fossil free transportation to make it the first choice alternative (why? how?)
- Ensure public transportation is competitive and has sufficient capacity (why? how?)
- Make biking a privileged transport alternative in the city (why? how?)
- Provide organic and vegetarian food alternatives in city institutions (why? how?)
- Enhance the possibilities for markets where local farmers can provide their organic products (why? how?)
- Close the nutrient cycle – create an infrastructure for collecting food waste and returning it as fertilizer to local farmers (why? how?)
- Promote new values in the city beyond the traditional growth (why? how?)
- Stimulate local markets and promote usage of long lasting quality products in all sectors (why? how?)
- Stimulate the repairs and maintenance sector (why? how?)
- Stimulate R&D and investments in green technology (why? how?)
- Network with other city mayors nationally and globally to get ideas and inspiration in reaching the above tasks (why? how?)
When all of us are moving in the same direction, the climate and the future of our kids will be saved in a surprisingly short time. Start working on the check list, engage your staff, find out more, and share with colleagues. We are all in this together. You find some more background and links for further reading here.