What can I do as a policy maker to stop the global warming? As a policy maker you have a crucial role in stopping the global warming. The necessary transition affects how cities and societies are planned, the different infrastructures for transports, energy, food supply, nutrient cycles, waste etc. This will also have many positive effects on our lives with cleaner air, higher quality of food, a richer social life and healthier people. We have an opportunity to leave a better place to live in to our children and future generations.
You are most likely already addressing several of these problems. But we need to speed up the transition. Since the usage of fossil fuels are deeply integrated into our society, many different areas need to be addressed simultaneously. This action list suggests where attention is needed to make this happen in a coordinated way with citizens and other stakeholders such as city mayors and enterprise leaders. Don’t hesitate – take a lead in this! You will not regret it and people will thank you.
- Turn the energy production to a fossil free sector (why? how?)
- Introduce benefits for fossil free heating/cooling of premises (why? how?)
- Introduce benefits for fossil free transportation to make it the first choice alternative (why? how?)
- Speed up the transition from fossil based energy to renewable energy (why? how?)
- Create policies beneficial for organic and vegetarian food production (why? how?)
- Stimulate local markets (why? how?)
- Promote new values in the society beyond the traditional growth (why? how?)
- Promote usage of quality products with long lifetime in all sectors (why? how?)
- Build awareness of resilience and sustainability in the society (why? how?)
- Stimulate R&D and investments in green technology (why? how?)
- Establish a tribunal for companies who have put their own interests before the climate of our planet (why? how?)
- Network with other policy makers nationally and internationally to facilitate and find cooperation in reaching the above tasks (why? how?)
When all of us are moving in the same direction, the climate and the future of our kids will be saved in a surprisingly short time. Use the action list as input in your work, engage your staff, find out more, and let others know what you are doing. We are all in this together. You find some more background and links for further reading here.